Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The days before the Slickrock 100M Ultra Marathon in Moab, Utah

Brief Introduction:
A long time ago, just about a year ago, I figured that everyone can run, thanks to Christopher McDougall's book, "Born To Run", including myself.  So I started running barefoot and after a while I decided to raise the bar and participate in an Ultra Marathon.  I found one that was called Slickrock 100 and I really wanted to run this thing.  100 Miles distance, time to finish was set to 30 hours.  Doable.  I signed up.  I started running longer and farther I ever have in my entire life.


The date: 10/01/2011
One week to race day.  I flew out to Moab, UT to get used to the elevation.   Good call. The air is thinner and any attempt to run turns into huffing and puffing.  I decided to go slow for the very first day.  A headache hits me, due to the high elevation.  I took it all slow, went shopping and returned to the Lazy Lizard Hostel.  Went to sleep early and with a grueling headache even though I took 4 Aspirin.

The date: 10/02/2011
I went scouting on the race location to be. After driving around I finally discovered the starting area.  I parked my car, got out and tried the found route.  I ran (well, huffed and puffed) for 4 miles and then turned around.  On the way back, the weather changed rapidly from about 82F to maybe 60F and the blue skies turned dark and grim clouds were spewing some rain on me when I approach the car.
Went back to the hostel and recovered.  Wasn't that bad.  The only thing that concerned me was the huffing and puffing.  I met Matt and he suggested to take a trip to the 10,000ft mountains around Moab to acclimate.  He suggested to drive up to Geyser Path and run a mile uphill and return. I planned that for the next day.  Bedtime.

The date: 10/03/2011
I prepared a good breakfast with eggs and shrimps and coconut milk and loaded up my gear; cold weather running gear, my camelback with plain water, my handheld bottle with Hammer Perpeteum and my tiny pouch with Lärabars and Hammer Shots.  Off I went.  Up to the mountains.  The car had a hard time getting up the mountain, the air was even thinner and the engine got hot.  Poor sedan.  Finally, I arrived at a good spot and pulled over; I had reached the trailhead.  No mistake about it, since a herd of mountain bikers are ready to ascent, too.  Off I go with all my stuff on me.  The first mile and a half is downhill, not very steep, but more than I was used to.  Then the trail turned left towards the mountains.  Yay.  Or…? Well, the next quarter mile is going up hill, more than I was used to.  So, in good Ultra runner manners, I slow down and start hiking uphill.  The next turn is a 35% incline uphill.  Huffing and puffing I am steaming uphill.  The sun came out a couple of minutes ago and now I am honored with some hot rays on my back.  The mountain bikers that were smiling about my outfit are now cussing and getting off their bikes to push (REALLY!?!?!) their bikes.  I kept walking in front of them, about a quarter to half a mile ahead of them.  Often times I saw them stopping and wiping their sweat off their faces.  I was huffing and puffing but I felt okay, it seemed that I was okay.  Further and further up the path went, the path got tinier and narrower basically down to the width of a mountain bike tire.  I stopped at the top of the mountain and checked my iPhone for GPS information.  Whoa, I was at 11,075ft elevation.  The mountain bikers explained that there would be a lake nearby.  I was determined to make it to the lake.  Another four miles or so was the word.  I went for it.  What came next was nothing I had expected.  The slope on the back side of the mountain went in hairpin turns, just big enough for a well ridden mountain bike, and a crazy dude like me at a 45% or more steep angle downhill.  My quads were getting tight, my breath was going fast and I was descending the mountain further and further.  I crossed a creek several times, and with more distance I traveled down the mountain I noticed that I was pretty much alone.  I recalled that this area was bear country so I started to make noises while I moved with the walking stick that I had picked up earlier.  At one spot, the creek was now way to wide to make it across and I called it quits.  If I would have made it across, I would have been wet … and I did not bring my microfiber towel.  So I started the ascent.  Man, after about a quarter mile I realized how steep this thing really was.  I could stand up straight and touch the mountain with my stretched out arm.  I checked my GPS and it told me that I had travelled about five miles thus far.  That meant that I needed to walk it all back.  Fun!  I huffed and puffed and sweat a good deal, it was now time for shots and some food which I had brought with me.  I continued to hike up the mountain until I cleared the thicker forest.  I also noticed that there were fresh droppings of something; smelled like poop with berry flavor.  Weird. Yuck.  I pressed on faster when I noticed that there was a skeleton right next the path I just came down earlier.  Eventually, the forest's thickness disappeared and I could see the summit; maybe another couple of miles until I would descending on the other side.  I kept moving up, huffing and puffing and breathing hard but not dizzying.  I made it.  I came to the summit and had nothing but a descent until the last mile and a half back to the car.  The climbing up on the steep side burnt a lot of calories and I could feel that I was getting tired and fatigued.  The last mile was getting the longest for me.  Fighting my way up to the car over rocks and dirt and constantly pushing the car's remote, since I was hoping I was near by.  No luck.  Out of range until I saw the car right in front of me after the last turn I took. Duh. Back to the hostel, made dinner and barely survived until about 8pm.  Woke up at three am, wondering why I was sleeping with my head hanging down backwards …

The date: 10/04/2011
I met with the race director, Aaron to mark the course.  We went out and ran some very nice parts of the course and I used the chance to run barefoot for almost all of the way.  By the time we were done we had run about 16 miles and I felt really good.  There were steep ascends and descends and I was able to keep up without too much huffing and puffing. I went back to my hostel afterwards and ate, had my Hammer Recoverite drink and popped some Electrolyte pills.  I stayed up until 3am.  After studying the fine print on the electrolyte pills, it turned out that they contain vitamin B6.  Hurray, up all night with ease … :)

The next few days were pretty calm, I did not do too much new stuff; I just wanted to give my body a chance to recharge to a full 100% before the race.  I ate lightly yet satisfying my hunger, I made sure I was well hydrated and that "all systems are working within normal parameters".

So, finally, the day before race day.
My first race ever, in any kind or fashion.  I was excited and nervous, I was curious and anxious, I felt great and yet I felt sick to my stomach. I am at the location of the race to be and registering myself for the 100 mile run. I did it.  Signed up.  Not a chance to back out any more.  We all are asked to stay, since "there have been  some changes".  Oh wow.  Now what?

Registration started at 3pm and the pre-race instructions were set to be at 5pm.  The temperatures were dropping by the minute and it got colder and windier by the 15 minutes mark.  Finally, it is 5:30-ish and the race director explained that the northern part was unavailable due to quicksand that had formed after the rain and had swallowed a modified Jeep Wrangler, that was used to inspect the trails one more time before the race, up to its windshield.  The 100 mile course was now relocated into the Southern half of the previously planned loop.  Unfortunately, the 100 milers would need to run the 100 miles in a 60 mile loop and a 40 mile loop.  The 50 milers would run it only once instead of twice.

The mean part about relocating the race into the southern half was that the elevation change doubled now.  Instead of 6,000ft of elevation change it would now be close to 13,000ft elevation change.
I knew that I wasn't prepared for that much elevation change but what could I do now?

...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment